E-mail MeHelena S. Mock, Esq.
Helena began her career as a legal clerk with the United States Army. In 2000, she graduated from the College of William & Mary School of Law in Williamsburg, Virginia, and began her practice with the law firm of Jones, Blechman, Woltz & Kelly, P.C. in Newport News, Virginia. In 2004, Helena became a full partner and later served as Chairman of the Estate Planning and Taxation Practice Group of the firm, supervising a team of attorneys, paralegals and other staff while attending to the needs of her many and varied estate planning and administration clients.
In May of 2010, Helena formed a law practice devoted to providing Virginia Peninsula clients with the best in estate, trust, and business planning and family law: The Peninsula Center for Estate and Lifelong Planning, located in Williamsburg. She continues to provide the same breadth and quality of services to clients throughout Hampton Roads, including the Middle Peninsula and the Northern Neck.
Helena has extensive experience in advising clients on all facets of estate, tax, business, and long-term care planning to include establishing revocable and irrevocable trusts, charitable trusts, limited liability companies and family business limited partnerships, as well as drafting buy-sell agreements, shareholder agreements, marital agreements, wills, powers of attorney, medical directives, living wills and other estate planning documents necessary to protect clients both during lifetime and at death. She assists clients and their families with planning for future long-term care needs and in evaluating ways to protect and preserve assets. She advises clients on methods available for protecting assets from income, gift, estate, and generation-skipping transfer taxes and helps clients in preserving wealth for future generations. In addition, Helena helps clients deal with issues such as incapacity and death of a loved one and guides clients through the process of administering trusts and estates. She regularly practices before the local courts in instituting guardianships and conservatorships, reforming trusts and wills, and handling a variety of other matters involving wills, trusts, and estates. Helena also often serves in the capacity of executor or trustee and has frequently been appointed by local courts to serve as a fiduciary.
Her expertise in estate planning has earned her recognition by her peers as Legal Elite by Virginia Business for seven years (most recently see www.virginiabusiness.com December 2015), by SuperLawyers as a Rising Star in 2007 and 2008, and by Global Strategy Group (GSG) as a SuperLawyer for 2013-2016. Additionally, she has been awarded the top "10" rating with AVVO.com, a respected legal website and resource, and has recently received recognition as an Accredited Estate Planner. Helena has also been accredited by the Department of Veterans Affairs to assist U.S. military veterans in planning and applying for benefits with the VA.
Helena is a frequent speaker on topics relating to her areas of practice, is an adjunct faculty member for the College of William & Mary School of Law, and is the Director of the Law School's Elder & Disability Law Clinic.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Estate & Trust Administration
- Business Planning
- Charitable Planning
- Retirement Asset Planning
- Elder Law & Long-Term Care Planning
- Life Care Planning
- Medicaid & Veteran's Benefits
- Guardianships and Conservatorships
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Fiduciary Accounting Issues
- Estate and Gift Taxes
- Trust Reformation or Modification
- Estate and Trust Litigation
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2002
- Virginia Supreme Court, 2000
- The College of William and Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, Williamsburg, Virginia
- J.D. - 2000
- University of Maryland
- B.A. - 1992
- Old Dominion University
- M.A., - 1996
- Adjunct Faculty Member, College of William & Mary School of Law, 2004-Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Accredited Estate Planner
- Peninsula Estate Planning Council, Member and Officer
- Williamsburg Bar Association, Member
- Virginia Bar Association, Member
- Virginia State Bar, Trust & Estates Sections, Member
- Life Care Planning Law Firms Association, Member
- Clinical Legal Education Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Former Director and Officer for Avalon, a Center for Women and Children, 2002 - 2003
- Former Treasurer, Newport News Bar Association, 2002 - 2007
- Secretary and Board Member, Mary Immaculate Hospital, 2012-2016
- Advisory Board Member, Dream Catchers of Williamsburg, 2010-Present
- Secretary and Board Member, Williamsburg House of Mercy, 2016 - Present